Take a train to or from Lhasa maybe is once a life time experience for westerners, come to join us on the roof top of the world Tibet!
In the past traveling to Tibet might be a remote dream. The poor accessibility and appalling high altitude made many people hesitate to step on this mysterious and enchanting land. Today tourists can not only choose to take flights or cars into and out of Tibet, but a new means - train available.
Now you can have a train travel to Tibet on the world's highest railway known as 'Qinghai-Tibet Railway'. Although traveling to Tibet via railway does take more time than by plane, it gives you much more enjoyment of the wonderful landscapes and a unique experience on the thousands of miles traveling on the roof of the world.
Train Travel Schedule and Pictures for your reference, please click link here.
Lhasa-Beijing: 47 hours 04 minutes; distance: 4064km
Lhasa-Chengdu: 45 hours 40 minutes; distance: 3360km
Lhasa-Chongqing: 46 hours 32 minutes; distance: 3654km
Lhasa-Shanghai: 48 hours 58 minutes; distance: 4373km
Lhasa-Guangzhou: 56 hours 10 minutes; distance: 4980kmYou may also have your terminuses at Golmud, Xining, Lanzhou or Xi'an.
Below are some facts about the Qinghai-Tibet Railway:
* Qinghai-Tibet Railway is the world's highest railway. Some 960 kilometers of its tracks are located 4,000 meters above sea level and the highest point is 5,072 meters, at least 200 meters higher than the Peruvian railway in the Andes, which was formerly the world's most elevated track.
* The railway is the world's longest plateau railroad, extending 1,956 kilometers from Qinghai's provincial capital Xining to Lhasa in Tibet. The newly completed Golmud-Lhasa section zigzags 1,142 kilometers across the Kunlun and Tanggula mountain ranges.
* About 550 kilometers of the tracks run on frozen earth, the longest in any of the world's plateau railways.
* Tanggula Railway Station, 5,068 meters above sea level, is the highest railway station in the world.
* Fenghuoshan Tunnel, 4,905 meters above sea level, is the world's most elevated tunnel on frozen earth.
* Kunlun Mountain Tunnel, running 1,686 meters, is the world's longest plateau tunnel built on frozen earth.
* Upon its completion, the maximum train speed is designed to reach 100 kilometers per hour in the frozen earth areas and 120 kilometers per hour on non-frozen earth.
* Construction of the Golmud-Lhasa section of the landmark railway commenced on June 29, 2001 and test runs are set for July 2006.
Qinghai-Tibet Railway Map
Tibet Train Travel Photo Album
Tibet Ctrip Travel Service is a professional and local Tibet Travel agency and tour operator based in Lhasa. If you dream to have a Qinghai Tibet train trip, feel free to Contct Tibet travel agent and leave the rest to us. But please be aware that to avoid the pick season of train travels which may results to no single sleeper ticket can be guaranteed, here we kindly advise our clients to take train to Lhasa from November to end of next March,and take train out of Lhasa from April to October,this case we can help you out with the train tickets bookings,and you still do not need to give the Qinghai Tibet train travel a miss.